Question: fell in a window 4 months ago, did I break my scaphoid

runfastwiglurass - Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 pm

I am a 24 y/o female firefighter. About 3 -4 months ago after climbing a ladder fully geared to a second story window, I was climbing over the window sill and fell in onto my right hand. Onto a concrete floor( the whole building is made of concrete or some other similar hard surface so when we practice burns it wont burn) It had a little swelling (gone in a couple days) and some bruising at the time and didnt think anything of it.( Not to mention the adrenaline sorta minimized it) However at the base where my thumb meets the wrist more inside it the wrist thumb area it has grown more painful over the past few months. I have been instructed to work on my upper body strength and especially when doing push ups at that angle it is getting much more painful. Also I am starting to get a shooting pain from the wrist up the thumb as well. Other tasks are also starting to get painful. I did some research and am worried about a scaphoid fracture. ( would a scaphoid fracture not be swollen and not bruised this late into it) I am getting concerned and am wondering what this may be. I keep reading the scaphoid information online I have found and a lot of it sounds like my hand/ wrist.
I guess what I am asking does it sound like a scaphoid fracture? what other problems could it be? and if it is a fracture of the scaphoid and this late after the fracture what now? I understand x rays are the only way to tell but I guess before I become one of those patients going in and freaking out I wanted some feedback. Thank you for your help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:23 pm

An x-ray would be warranted to view the scaphoid bone which may be injured during a fall onto an outstretched hand.

The more likely cause of the pain however is tenosynovitis of the thumb (deQuervain's tenosynovitis).
This can be treated with NSAID, ice or heat or steroid injection. Splinting may help too.

In either case, see your family doc for an accurate diagnosis.

|