Question: my 2 yr old daughter sprain/strain

mueena - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:50 pm

My daughter fell on the ground a week back, the next two days she was not walking but then she felt better and started walking , but past three days she is limbing a lot more and complains of pain in the leg. severity is less but limbs. the appointment is a week away. what should I do?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:42 am

I would talk her to the ER if the pain and limping is worsened. It is possible she reinjured the area. Also they may want to take an xray to be sure it is not some kind of minor fracture. She might should stay off that foot for a whle and let it heal some. I know that is easier said than done with a child that young though.
Debra Van Ness RN
 mueena - Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks very much for your advice, its true that asking child not to use her leg is a big task. She now feels better.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Children who fall and have progressive leg pain should undergo x-ray to rule out fracture. The hips can also slip out of place (subluxation).

Generally speaking, if a child needs to be non weight bearing crutches or a wheelchair should be used. If strict non weight bearing is needed then use a wheelchair.

|