News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain 3 years post pardom

ploaf - Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Hello,
I am hoping you can shed some light on the recurring lower back pain I have been getting ever since I had my son, never before.
I had an epideral that was topped up for 14 hours as I had back labour. I then had an emergency C-section. I can remember in the OR, my neck seizing in pain all of a sudden and I couldn't move it, I remember a nurse trying to inject a needle in my back 3 or 4 times and it didn't work, (kept getting blood I think?), so I was put completely under.
Now my back has gone out about 7 times since and my son just turned 3. The pain is always in the same spot, lower middle left. It feels reminiscent of the pain I felt when I was in labour. I can usually feel twinges before it hits full on but the one I have now came with no warning and is the worst one I have had. I am wondering if there is a relationship between my labour and the injections I received, and my back going out.

I went to my family doctor and thought of this possibility after the visit. I am going for an X-ray but thought perhaps you could share your expertise please!

Thank-you for your time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
I have found that many women with labor or pregnancy pain in the low back have post partum sacroiliac (SI) pain.

Since the ligaments of the pelvis become relaxed during pregnancy and delivery the pelvic bones can shift ...in particular the SI joint.

There are some manipulative maneuvers which can put SI joint back into better alignment but requires a skilled osteopath, physical therapist or chiropractor.

I would have the SI joints assessed by a skilled professional as mentioned above.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here