Question: sore and swollen wrist

tetaory - Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:16 pm

About a couple of months ago I hurt my wrist (nothing major). I can't really remember how i did it. it didn't bother me too much. It would only be a little sore now and again. For the past 2 weeks or so, it seems to be getting worse. It's my right wrist, on the right side. It seems a bit swollen and sore more often. I also hear a clicking sound once and awhile and some tingling. I haven't gone to see a doctor. What do you think is wrong?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:14 pm

You truly need an xray of that wrist. It sounds like you had an injury to the muscles, tendons, and/or ligaments there. Like a sprang. If you can still move it, likely it is not a fracture. But go to the doc and get an xray. If it gets to hurting too bad go the ER. They will xray it. Just be sure there is not a tiny fracture in one of the bones or something. But normally if it is broken, then you will not be able to move it and will have alot of bruising with the swelling.
The tingling sounds like something is pinching a nerve somewhere. Perhaps the swelling itself or something injured in the tissues is compressing a nerve.
Debra Van Ness RN
 tetaory - Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. i haven't gone to see the doctor yet. Today, my wrist really wasn't too sore, only if I move it a different way or lift something heavy etc. The tingling in my hand and fingers seems to be getting worse though. Also, I don't really think there is swelling (maybe there really wasn't much swelling in the first place)What do you think?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Usually swelling in the distal (away from the body) end of the limbs is very apparent. If you have hand swelling from hand trauma, it should be obvious.
The sensory changes in the hand should be evaluated as this can be from a pinched or damaged nerve. When nerve tissue is damaged and not allowed to heal properly, permanent hand weakness, pain and sensory changes can occur.
Therefore, it would be good to have the hand evaluated.
 tetaory - Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:43 pm

I ended up going to the doctor and it turns out that I have a cyst on my right wrist. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot which seems to be working. It was a week ago yesterday that i got the shot. The only problem is that it seems to be getting a bit bigger. It is on my right hand and of course, I am right handed and a teacher (lots of correcting). I read that wrapping the wrist in an ace bandage could help shrink the cyst. I could try that in the evening and overnight, when I don't really have much to do with my hand. What do you think? I was also wondering how long you figure the cortisone shot will last? Because I had a lot of tingling in my hand and fingers before the shot, is there a possibility that I will have to have the cyst removed???

|