News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Numbness of the top of my right foot and leg.

petey7803 - Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm

About a week ago, I noticed the top right side of my foot has been numb on my right foot including my pinky two and the one next to it. The numbness goes slightly up my right front of my leg.

I gave it a few days thinking it would just go away, maybe a pinched nerve or something. The part of my leg that was numb has come back, but the foot I still can not feel I don't have any pain in my foot or leg, its just numb.

However, I did injure my lower back and tail bone in a car accident 12 years ago...but had it checked out and they didn't find anything , just strained muscles. That part of my back has been very tender to the touch and weak. I think I may have re-injured it wake-boarding a few years back as it popped and shot pain down my legs and lower back. It felt like someone was twisting the muscle around my lower back and tail bone. I didn't have it checked out then....which I should have probably. Not sure if any of this would have caused the numbness in my foot, where it happened a few years ago....but would really like to have the feeling back in my foot.

If you have any ideas or thoughts of what may be causing this, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks
petey7803
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
The lateral foot numbness could be caused from pathology in the lumbar spine especially with history of trauma to the low back.

Other neurological examination in the clinic includes deep tendon reflex check and manual muscle testing.

The spine should also be assessed for range of motion and presence of muscle spasm.

If needed physical therapy or if signs/symptoms are severe or debilitating then MRI.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here