Question: fractured shoulder severe muscle spasms

sandy522 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:03 am

Two and a half weeks ago I fell and my humerous is cracked just below the ball part of the bone so they are calling it a shoulder fracture. I was in the hospital from Monday night till Wednesday afternoon and experienced severe sharp pains that I think are muscle spasms in the upper arm . They started that first day. The strong pain and muscle relaxer meds I got in the hospital through IV and pills upon release are not helping. The bone is aligned and surgery is not needed. I saw the Specialist a week after release and new x-rays show it is still aligned. I was put in an immobilizer that holds my arm next to my body and my hand next to my stomach. I take my hand out 3 or 4 times per day to exercise my fingers, wrist and elbow.

The spasms hit me suddenly and are severe but pass very quickly. They make my arm feel sore but the sharp pain only lasts for a second at a time but I am having over 50 of these a day. They usually happen if I move in some way but sometimes while I am sitting still. I can just take a deep breath and will have one. If I am riding in a car they will happen if the car takes a turn or if the road is bumpy. They often happen when I move to either stand from a seated position or if I sit down. The shoulder area where the break is only aches a little bit at times. The sharp sudden pain is about half way down my upper arm and I'm not really sure if they are muscle spasms or if there is a pinched nerve or something else.

The Orthopedic Dr I saw in the hospital and for the follow up has seen me when this severe pain hits me but only says muscle spasms are normal because I''m not using the muscles. I have reminded him they started the very first day so I don't feel they started because I am not using the muscles. I am concerned there is something else wrong with me but he is just dismissing me saying they will stop when I get out of the immobilizer in 3 to 4 weeks. He doesn't think an MRI is necessary to see if there is some muscle, nerve or other damage.

I don't know what to do. The sharp pains wear me out. I move very slowly and carefully trying to avoid them but they continue. I am really concerned that I will continue to have these even after the bone is healed or that I could have long term damage. If something is torn or damaged causing these will it heal on it's own? Should I see a different Dr? Any insights, suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:30 pm

An MRI would help rule out other structural damage and would be important if you think other structures in the shoulder were damaged in the fall.
Imaging and neurological testing is also important to do of the cervical spine.
As a rule of thumb, the joints above and below the injured part should be assessed. For an injured shoulder, this would include the neck and the elbow.

aseer96 - Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 am

my mother 43 years old . she fell on her right shoulder in a bathroom by three months, she went to a doctor and request X-rays and doctor said she's healthy and he gave her some tranquilizers, but the pain still continued even now and also increased and increased pain to the neck, I do not know what i do?
" by the way i have a copy of her x-ray "
thank you ...

|