News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: What do I expect on initial visit for peroneal subluxation?

whpstickagostop - Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:53 pm

I have been having pain in my left foot for three months. Eventually I noticed the popping and can see the peroneal tendon going back and forth across my ankle. I went to the student health clinic (I am a grad student, it's my only option half the time) and they didn't even look at it, just gave me a referral to a podiatrist.

My podiatrist appt is Nov 2nd and I'm stressing about it. I don't go to the doctor often because I don't get sick often. I am a biology graduate student so usually I can realize it's a problem that my immune system will take care of and nothing to worry about. I don't know what to expect the first visit so I'm asking advice. Will they put me in a brace? Will they do an MRI? Will I have to stay off of it? Will I be able to drive my stick shift car home from the doctor (It's my clutch foot!).

Anything I can do to ease the pain and discomfort until my podiatrist appt? I'm frustrated that the health clinic didn't even suggest an OTC brace to buy and all I have been doing is upping the concentration of Icy Hot (I try to avoid taking pills due to a sensitive stomach).

Many thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are two structural abnormalities that can contribute to dislocating of the peroneal tendon - shallow sulcus behind the lateral malleoli (lateral ankle bone) and a damaged peroneal sheath which stabilizes the tendon.
Surgery can correct both of these.
You can brace the ankle and take topical NSAID (e.g. Voltaren gel) or topical methyl salicylate cream for pain and inflammation relief until you get to the podiatrist.
Take care.
 whpstickagostop - Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks for the advice. This morning my other foot started aching in the same place that started in the left one. Is it possible to have this in both feet at the same time or is it just sore from compensating for the left one?

Also, I cannot find any otc topical anti-inflammatories. Are there any (that don't cost a ton, I'm a broke college student heh)

Thanks!
joDi

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here