Question: Broken or Sprained thumb?

lovelythumb - Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 am

I fell on my hand on Friday, it's now Tuesday and it is still just as swollen and my palm is bruised. It's not a deep bruise like when I broke my pinky, but it seems to deepen if I used my hand or soak it in water and then fade after letting my hand rest. I can my move thumb from side to side and bend it slightly, but not enough to make a fist and it's pretty stiff. It hurt a lot when I first injured my thumb, but now it just hurts if I put pressure on it or try to bend it more than it wants to go. It tingles and feels numb sometimes. Is there a possibility that it's broken and should I go to the doctor, even though it has been a few days? I was waiting to see if it got better on it's own thinking it had just been jammed in the fall, but now I'm not sure since it hasn't gotten better.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Sometimes a sprained can cause lasting pain and needs care to protect the joint(s) with splinting or ACE wrap and pain control.

But I would start by doing an x-ray to rule out fracture.

|