News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Trauma to coccyx, continued swelling?

jezzca182 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 pm

A couple months ago, I fell down some stairs and landed hard on my tailbone. It was bruised, swollen and painful for about a week or two and then the pain went away. It still hurts occasionally when I overuse it but my concern is the swelling/lump on my tailbone. It got swollen with the injury and while it went down a little, there is still enough swelling so that it bulges slightly. I was wondering if this is normal? How long can I expect the swelling/lump to remain...is it a chronic thing or perhaps my tailbone just needs extra time to heal?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
Pain and trauma in the coccyx can last quite some time (up to 12 weeks depending on extent of trauma) and can be fairly painful.

So protect the area and use analgesics for pain control. Activity as tolerated - walking is the best because it is low impact.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here