Question: Trauma to coccyx, continued swelling?

jezzca182 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 pm

A couple months ago, I fell down some stairs and landed hard on my tailbone. It was bruised, swollen and painful for about a week or two and then the pain went away. It still hurts occasionally when I overuse it but my concern is the swelling/lump on my tailbone. It got swollen with the injury and while it went down a little, there is still enough swelling so that it bulges slightly. I was wondering if this is normal? How long can I expect the swelling/lump to remain...is it a chronic thing or perhaps my tailbone just needs extra time to heal?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Pain and trauma in the coccyx can last quite some time (up to 12 weeks depending on extent of trauma) and can be fairly painful.

So protect the area and use analgesics for pain control. Activity as tolerated - walking is the best because it is low impact.

|