Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Swelling in Lower Leg after ACL Surgery

kdenkers - Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:55 pm

So back in the beginning of Sept I was dismounting my horse and my left knee popped and I fell to the ground. Ambulance ride, xrays, mri, and doc visits, I tore my acl. 9/30 I had my cad. graft... things were going great, I was making great progress, and this monday i returned to work without a brace or crutches. Under orders to be careful, move around but do not under any circumstances over do it. Anyway. Monday came and went with very little swelling or pain.. I was tired of course.. but that was to be expected. Tuesday came and by mid afternoon my calf, foot and ankle where 3 or 4x the size and hard.. and most likely warm.. but you know how it is when you feel yourself for being hot/warm... anyway, my pants were skin tight on me, and I was afraid my sneakers were going to the audible POP when I took it off.. so I iced, elevated and the swelling went down over night.. not all the way mind you but it did go down considerably. So I called my doc this morning when I got into the office and left a VM for the nurse... she called me back and told me to go and get a ultra sound done to r/o blood clots. The results came back neg... for the clot which is great.. but then again, I have no idea why I am still swollen, hard and warm... I have an apt on Friday.. but being inpatient, I want to know what is going on.. not be in pain anymore and get back to being normal.

Please can someone help?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:30 pm

The swelling in the lower leg could be from a couple of things.
1. The knee can be the source and the swelling has moved downward from the knee. I would expect however the knee itself to swell too and increase in soreness.
2. The ankle or calf area has an inflammatory condition - too much activity for tissue that has been underworked for several months.
3. Deep vein thrombosis: ultrasound is negative however.

In any case, your physician will evaluate the limb and get a clearer idea of the cause.
Easy does it until then.

|