News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Re-Break 5th Metacarpal?

qwerg - Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Alright, barely one year ago I broke my 5th metacarpal, I broke it twice it the same 2 month period (long story). I had to have surgery with two temporary pins placed in, the doctor said my hand healed fast, and looked great, that was almost a year ago in December 09 when I got my cast off. I'm a very healthy 16 year old boy. I've taken lot's of protein since then and fair amounts of calcium, for a period of time I took Centrum Multi-Vitamins with a separate Vitamin D supplement. Weight bearing started soon after cast off but barely, In May that year started most of the weight bearing with lots of protein consumption.

My point is, I'm worried, That if I get into a self defense situation (which may happen soon) will I break my hand again? Given I have a tight fist, a straight punch, and attempt to use mostly if not only the first two knuckles. NOTE: I tested my strength a little, If I punch my other hand (fairly hard) I have no pain even if I hit it hard several times. Ive actually had a friend hold his hands out, and hit a few times with my right, my hand felt fine, knuckles turned red tho, but that's normal. So I don't think my hand will break, I just need reassurance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
Usually the 5th metacarpal breaks during punching because of poor technique.
You can not have reassurance of avoiding another fracture unless you are formally trained in martial arts and/or pugilism.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here