Question: broken ankle rehab

flowergirl968 - Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey.
I broke my ankle in three places almost thirteen weeks ago. I had an operation where one large screw, several small screws and one plate was put in. About ten days ago I had another operation to remove the large screw. My cast also came off that day. They told me to bear weight on it gradually and I should be off the crutches in two weeks. However it's now ten days later and I am still completley dependent on the crutches. What am I doing wrong? I am not due to return to the hospital for another two weeks and was wondering if you could recommend some exercises I could be doing in the time being?
Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Make sure the ankle has adequate dorsiflexion. You can achieve this by actively working the toe or foot back toward you.
You may also practice weight bearing by doing repetitive sit to stand maneuver keeping weight equally over both feet, leaning forward and standing then slowly sit down keeping equal weight over both feet. Use arms only as needed. Do this only in painfree manner and should not cause swelling.

Another practice is taking one step forward and one step back leading with either foot for several repetitions.

This should prepare you somewhat for regular gait without crutches.

Another option is to use a straight cane on the opposite side of the injured foot. Advance the foot and cane in tandem and gradually reduce the amount of pressure or use on the cane over time.

|