News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: No cartilage in ankle- limitations?

loveofthescreen - Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 pm

My best friend was injured in the war five years or so ago and now has no cartilage in his ankle. He underwent surgery including pins in his ankle and had physical therapy. He was told he would walk with a cane most of his days but so far is doing fine walking and functioning normally. I would like to know what his limitations might be.. I don’t want him to overdo it yet he is adamant about going hiking, skiing, etc with me which in my opinion may hurt him in the long run. Any expert advice? Anything we can do to help aid his healing process? Herbs? Therapy?

Stephanie
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
Too much prolonged weight bearing or stress on a joint without cartilage could cause lasting pain and dysfunction.
So 'easy does it' is the rule of thumb.
Wintergreen essential oil has natural anti inflammatory properties similar to willow bark and can be applied topically.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here