News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Herniated Disc

jrp6048 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Hello at the beginning of September 2008, I was at work and hurt my back. Well I have been to 4 different doctors and my back has only become worse. While I was in physical therapy, I seemed to be getting better, but of course I was taken out. I was wondering if maybe when I initially hurt my back or in the year that has past if I could have injured my back worse or done permanent damage to it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:15 am

User avatar Hello,
I assume from the title of the post "Herniated Disc" that you had an MRI which showed a herniated disc. If this is the case and physical therapy (PT) helped, I would suggest continuing PT.
I am not clear why you were taken out of PT but again can only assume that it was due to insurance reasons.
If you have no neurological symptoms: leg numbness and tingling, leg weakness, or loss of sensation in either leg then not only continuing PT but adding a walking program is best.
As a matter of last resort, you may consult with the neuro surgeon to consider back surgery: e.g. discectomy (partial removal of the disc) or decompression/laminectomy (relieves pressure from a pinched nerve).

Yes, the back could have been further injured (depending on your activity level) but would need another MRI to confirm plus checking some clinical tests for neurological symptoms.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here