Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Herniated Disc

jrp6048 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Hello at the beginning of September 2008, I was at work and hurt my back. Well I have been to 4 different doctors and my back has only become worse. While I was in physical therapy, I seemed to be getting better, but of course I was taken out. I was wondering if maybe when I initially hurt my back or in the year that has past if I could have injured my back worse or done permanent damage to it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:15 am

I assume from the title of the post "Herniated Disc" that you had an MRI which showed a herniated disc. If this is the case and physical therapy (PT) helped, I would suggest continuing PT.
I am not clear why you were taken out of PT but again can only assume that it was due to insurance reasons.
If you have no neurological symptoms: leg numbness and tingling, leg weakness, or loss of sensation in either leg then not only continuing PT but adding a walking program is best.
As a matter of last resort, you may consult with the neuro surgeon to consider back surgery: e.g. discectomy (partial removal of the disc) or decompression/laminectomy (relieves pressure from a pinched nerve).

Yes, the back could have been further injured (depending on your activity level) but would need another MRI to confirm plus checking some clinical tests for neurological symptoms.

|