News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Clavicle not healing after 3.5 Weeks.

Imaging_user - Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

I broke my right clavicle on 10/11/09. It was a clean break at the end close to the shoulder. I have been wearing a sling as prescribed by my doctor but after 3 weeks he said it is not healing. He downplayed the situation letting me know that sometime with this type of break it does not heal with bone, but instead may heal with fibers. He said to continue to wear the sling and come back in three weeks. I am a little worried about this diagnosis mainly because out of all my research I have yet to see any information on a nonunion clavicle healing not with bone, but with fiber.
Please advise me with some information so that I can better understand what is going on. This is the same doctor that preformed surgery on the same shoulder on Feb 12, 2009 for a level 5 separation. What does it mean to heal with fiber instead of bone?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
Most people with distal or lateral clavicle fractures do well. Even in those whom the bone does not heal (non union), long term and without surgery - 80% are assymptomatic.
So waiting another 3 weeks is par for the course.
Fiber bridge vs calcification means the connection between the bone is not complete.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here