Question: Pain in lower left leg. (Calf area)

janray786 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:04 am

Hello, for the past two weeks, I've been experiencing pain and a clicking sensation in what feels like the fibula area?

What happened was I took a pretty hard knee into the left side of my left leg directly onto my calf muscle. Almost immediately, I could feel my leg buckl under my knee and a sharp pain deep in or maybe behind my calf muscle on the bone. I iced it for two days after along with an application of ICY HOT before going to bed.

The strange thing is that the calf muscle itself does not actually feel pain a week later. The most significant change is there is a clicking sensation behind the muscle on what I'm assuming to be the fibula. The clicking can be either painful or painless - most of the time, it just feels really awkward when it clicks. The clicking persists in any kind of movement. Whether walking, going up/down stairs, moving my leg while I sleep, or even just massaging it, there will be a clicking noise and feeling.

As for strength and range of motion, I am having trouble starting flatfooted and extending onto my tiptoes. Balancing on my left leg seems more of a challenge now. And doing any kind of jumping feels as if my leg just can't complete a full hop/jump.

I've already ruled out any knee damage - even though the knee into my calf was a really hard knee, it was well below the knee area (thank god) and centered mostly on the body of my calf.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:58 pm

With the clicking noise near the fibula, it is time to x-ray the bone.
If negative for fracture, then the calf muscle obviously has been bruised and injured and will take time and gradual exercise for healing.
For a complete diagnosis, consult your family physician.

|