News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Lateral Knee pain when bending after previous injuries

gymnast2010 - Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:01 pm

I tore my ACL and LCL and had a bucket handle tear of my meniscus in 2007. I had reconstructive surgery using my patellar tendon. I got an infection two days after surgery and required IV antibiotics. Never got full ROM back but was able to go back to competitive gymnastics. Seven months after reconstruction I had one screw fixed that was coming out. I returned to gymnastics again. I have been diagnosed with arthrofibrosis.
Last week I landed on a dismount from bars in gymnastics in a full deep squat. My knee normally doesn't go that far(about 130 degrees usually). My knee is still hurting and I have pain when I bend my knee. It feels like something is stuck when I bend it on the outside. If I rub my finger over where it hurts, I can feel something clicking.

What could this be?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
The lateral meniscus may have torn. Also, since you've had some complications with the internal screw for ACL, the knee will need to be assessed for laxity. Lastly, since you have arthrofibrosis, going well beyond your new normal limit of range of motion on the landing may have torn some tissue and/or caused a loose body to be floating in the knee.

Get an MRI and/or see your orthopedist or vice versa.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here