News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: knee injury playing soccer

jmex10116 - Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:42 pm

I injured my right knee while playing soccer. the injury was very painful, it felt as if my knee had dislocated it self and bending outward to the right. 24 hours after the injury, my knee had swolen up and i could not bend it to walk streight. when i went to a doctor, he told me it was just a sprained knee. However i believe that was not the case, because he told me it would heel in about ten days. he gave me a knee brace and that was it. well its been about 7 to 8 months since the injury and with rest and the knee brace, it still bends outward when ever i tried to get bet out to play soccer, leaving me with much pain. i just cant put much presure on my right knee without it bending back out. what type of injury might be causing my knee to give out like this?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:44 am

User avatar Hi,
It is likely from your description that you suffered an injury to the 'medial collateral ligament' (MCL) of the knee.

'Medial collateral ligament' injuries cheifly occur in three situations....
- contact injuries (due to a direct blow to the outer side of the
knee, causing it to open up in its inner aspect,
thus stretching the MCL.
- Non-contact, or indirect injuries occur during
deceleration,cutting, and pivoting motions.
Usually a partial tear results.
- Overuse injuries which usually occur in swimmers.

At times, the deep part of ligament becomes damaged and this may lead to tears of the medial meniscus of the knee joint.

It is probable that your injury belongs to the Non-contact variety.

If your problem should continue to bother you, you may need an MRI scan to assess the injury and perhaps to decide if non-operative means (support bandage or plaster cast, 'local' ultrasound or laser therapy) would be adequate of if surgery is indicated.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here