News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Re-injury after knee arthoscopy

kietiekat - Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 pm

I am a healthy 34 year old and had a medial meniscus tear in 2007 which was repaired. I'd had no pain since and all has been well until yesterday. Suddenly developed pain on the inside of my knee again over previous area of tear when walking down stairs or with weight on bended knee. Today its even worse. On extension of my knee, I get knee pain, again on the inside and can hardly walk down or up stairs. Definitely an increase in pain since yesterday. No swelling.
I don't remember injuring my knee during the past few days. Could I have torn my meniscus again? How do I proceed? Ice and rest? Thank you in advance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:54 am

User avatar Hi,
Recurerent tears of arthroscopically repaired/patrially resected menisci are known.

If you strongly feel that your symptoms very closely resemble the symptoms during the first episode, recurrent tear of the repaired medial meniscus certainly needs to be excluded.

Firstly, have yourself examined by your orthopedic surgeon.

Both conventional knee MRI and MR arthrography can be used to diagnose recurrent tears of the menisci. Some workers have found MR arthrography superior.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here