Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: felt a pop in my lower spine, now i can't bend over (ouch!)

outoftheact - Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 pm

a few days ago i turned to close my front door and felt a *POP* in my lower back, followed by a sharp pain. the next 12 hours my movement was severely limited, any bending or twisting was impossible due to pain localized in the lower vertebrae, mainly right side. gradually my ability to bend forward at the waist has improved, but it's still difficult and painful. i can lean to one side (at the waist) without pain, but the other side is quite painful. no numbness or tingling anywhere.
-could this be a slipped or herniated disk?
-could this be related to scoliosis? lower curve: 40 degrees, upper curve 32 degrees.
-should i be wary of this happening again?

thank you for the help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 pm

From your description, it appears that you have a fairly severe scoliosis.Considering your age, itis possible that you have idiopathic adolescent scoliosis (AIS).

AIS are arbitrarily and conveniently classified by the age of onset
– infantile (from birth to three years),
- juvenile (between four and the end of the ninth year) and
- adolescent (begining at or about ten years of age, or later).

Is is posssible that you perhaps have the adolescent type?

Scoliosis may not by itself, cause pain but the affected surrounding tissues such as the tendons,muscles,and ligaments can. You have not provided the details of the curves of your spine (convexity of the curve pointing to which side).

It is probable that the pain of your right side which perhaps is also the side of the protruding (convexity) may be due to the over-stretching of the para-spinal muscles(which are already in a state of constant stretch due to the curve of the spine).
The pain is likely to be worse with sitting and any forward bending movements because, this will cause more stretch to the muscle.In other words, anything which stretches the muscles further, is bound to aggravate the pain.

You describe a " *POP* in my lower back".Generally, disc herniations are not 'felt' as a 'sound'. However, fracturing bones do at times, cause sounds wich a person may 'feel' or even 'hear'.

However, there are case reports of fractures of
- transverse processes of vertebrae and
- fracrures of the 'apophysis' of the iliac crest
in the context of scoliosis(especially if ossteopenia is associated).Chronic strain on the iliac crest may be pre-disposing to this event.These fractures have been reported in persons who have undergone surgery for scoliosis(you have not mentioned if you have undergone surgery).These fractures may occur in people without scoliosis as well.

Please consult your orthopedic surgeon immediatly to have this sorted out.

|