Question: Broken foot?

delia33 - Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:31 pm

OK, so I'm a clutz. I dropped a couch on my foot while helping my sister move Friday. It landed right in the middle of my foot, a little forward of the arch. It bruised and started swelling almost immediately. I was able to walk on it within about 5 minutes due to shear determination. I tried to stay off it as much as possible over the weekend. It's now Monday and I was unable to put on a shoe this morning and ended up wearing flip flops to work. It is still just throbbing, especially if I walk around or sit for an extended time. and the flip flop seems to be getting tighter. My big toe and second toe seem to move normally, but the other 3 need a bit more coaxing to curl. The foot also seems to be a little colder than the other one. My question is, if I go to the doctor and they find it is broken, can they do anything for it besides tell me to take some Tylenol and stay off it? Because I'm already doing that and hate to pay money when they can't really help anyway.....
 metall5468 - Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:28 pm

I would go to the doctor for an xray if I were you.

~Steve~
 Dr. A. Saif - Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:13 pm

User avatar Hello Delia,

It is true, as you say that most broken bones in the foot are dealt with conservatively ("couple of Tylenol, ice packs, rest with it up etc"). But although this is the likely outcome, i would suggest a visist to a doc may give you more reassurance than a post in this forum. Coldness of the foot, loss of sensation may indicate other issues that may need attention (e.g. circulatory compromise). Clinical evaluation and perhpas an X-ray would be the best next step, and without these, one could be just taking a chance...the odds may be in your favor, but the favorite doesn't always win...

Saif

|