Question: splinter hemorrhage won't go away

yoyo44 - Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:43 pm

I hurt my finger nail assembling Ikea furniture over a year ago. At that point a nail slipped under my finger nail and split a small bit of nail creating a "split end" like sliver of nail on my index finger. I tried to pull off the little piece of nail but instead of coming off, it stayed attached and ended up pulling or seperating it down towards the root of my nail, to my great pain.

So, since then I've tried to leave it alone hoping it would grow out and heal. So, if I keep it bandaged and don't touch it the splinter hemorrhage goes away, but a nail sliver still keeps growing out split. Invariably, the little sliver snags on something and causes a splinter hemorrhage again. One dermatologist thought that it might have been a wart under my nail and had me user carasil cream for a month. It made the sliver of nail soft and easy to snip off as it grew. However, as soon as I stopped using the cream, the sliver hardened again.

Will split nail sliver ever fuse back together and stop causing splinter hemorrhages?
 Dr. A. Saif - Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:49 am

User avatar Hello Yoyo,

Most likely what you have done is damaged the "germinal matrix". This is a little bit of tissue from which the nail actually develops, and is just under your nail fold. What sometimes happens is that this tissue is damaged after some accidental trauma (or in toes, after surgical attempt to remove the matrix for ingrowing toenails), and one is left with an island of matrix that is separate from the rest. This island continues to produce the nail, and is the reason your nail keeps coming back.

If this is troubling you sufficiently, you may consider surgical removal of this matrix, for a more permanent (hopefully) solution...

Regards

Saif
 yoyo44 - Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:18 pm

If I went to a doctor to have this bit of germinal matrix removed, what kind of doctor should I go to? Which specialty? Is it a simple procedure?
 Dr. A. Saif - Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:50 pm

User avatar Hi again,

Yeah, pretty simple if that is the diagnosis. In the UK, both general and orthopaedic surgeons deal with these...

Saif

|