Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back and abdominal pain

PittsEdizu - Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:35 pm

I got hurt at work over two weeks ago when I was lifting a TV with a fellow co-worker. Since then I have had an Ultra Sound, CT scan and a MRI. The doctors that have spoke with me thought it might be epididymitus, hernia or a herniated disk. All of the test results have come back negative. I have pain in my left testicle and groin area. I have pain in my abdomen on the left side especially when I am sitting upright. I also have pain in my lower back right below the hip line. My left leg in my inner thigh feels like it is going numb or it's like a dull pain. I also have pain when I am walking. They only time I feel good is when I am lying flat on my back. If anyone has any clue I would love to hear from you. This is really bothersome and I feel that my doctor's might be missing something. Thank you for any help or suggestions.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:09 am

User avatar Dear PittsEdizu,
In most of the cases with back pain, strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement. Muscle spasm alone can cause the back pain which can be an unidentified cause.
In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial. If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes that need specific therapy.
Lower back pain that is centered in the lower spine and radiates down to both legs is most probably due to compressed nerves. While pain that is associated with burning micturition and radiate to the inner thigh may be due to genito- urinary problems like urinary tract infection or renal stone.
You did not mention if also urine analysis, blood picture or any other lab tests have been done and if any what are the results. If the pain is intense, especially when you lay down, if it causes weakness or numbness of the legs, if it is associated with GI or bladder problems, or there is fever or unexplained weight loss, you also have to consult your physician immediately. Keep on follow up with your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination he can recommend the proper management.

|