"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Foot numbness

laur2 - Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:18 pm

Three days ago I started experiencing numbness in my right foot. I can walk fine but it doesn't work properly. I was hurt 13 years ago in a car accident with 2 herniated discs and right leg nerve damage, but many years of chiropractic care kept me out of surgery. Can this sudden numbness be from that, and what type of Doc should I see for it? Thank you. P.S. Forgot to add I recently started taking Effexor and Lamictal....could that also be a cause? Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:34 am

User avatar Hi laur2,
In my opinion neither the Effexor nor Lamictal would generally cause this particular side efffect. If there is nerve compression associated with the herniated disks it may cause numbness in the leg or foot. Your primary care physician can order diagnostic studies, xray, MRI, etc. to evaluate for possible nerve compression and refer you to the appropriate specialist which will probably be an orthopedic physician.
 drgreghaitz - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:53 pm

User avatar I agree with the nurse' opinion. If the chiropractic treatment helped before, you may consider trying this again. Surgury is a a good last choice, but other conservative treatments should be considered first. Try a chiropractor that uses a technique called COX Flexion Distraction. This can be very helpfull in getting the disc to pull off of the affected nerve that goes into the foot. Dr. Haitz