Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Middle Back Stabbing Sensation

Jess2010 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

When i lay down to sleep i get this stabbing sensation in the middle of my back. At time it comes to the point that i can berly move. Why is this?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 am

Often stabbing pain in the middle of the back in a younger person or a person without cardiac risk factors often is caused by:

- a rib out of place where is attaches to the thoracic spine
- strained/spastic muscle between the shoulder blade and the thoracic spine.

If you have cardiac risk factors (e.g. age, smoker, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol, family history of heart disease, diabetes) then seek medical care.

shann75 - Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm new here. I hope that i am able to get some answers about an issue with my back. I have a list of medical problems that include RA, Fibro, RLS, Pernicious Anemia, Scurvy, Facet Joint Syndrome.... But I recently have injured my back and it's KILLING ME! Here's the story - My 18 mo. old daughter came up behind while I was bending down and hit me in the back (towards my left side.) I swear, it feels like I have a broken rib! There is no bruising. And my doctor truely thinks I am nuts! I went to see him 3 days ago, which was 2 days after the injury. I was in pain (And I take 40mg of Percocet a day.) And it still hurts just as bad today. Hurts when I cough, sneeze, laugh, breathe, etc. I am having trouble sleeping because it hurts so bad. And due to my Facet Joint Syndrome, I can't lay on my stomach. I tell ya, I'm a medical mess.
- My doctor looked at the area and pushed around it (OUCH!) And he just said that it was my muscles from the Fibro and that my daughter couldn't possibly damage my ribs. (I had to take her to the doc with me when her grandma canceled at the last minute. And he's looking at this sweet little toddler and thinking this woman is crazy!) But toward the end of our visit she was getting restless and ready to open every drawer and she even tried to untie his shoes. Putting a baby in an 8X8 room with lots of shiny new things everywhere with a mom that can't bend or get out of the chair very quick to stop her is a bad idea!

|