News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: osteoporosis in teens

lisashere42 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Hello. I have a 16 year old son who was diagnosed with osteoporosis at age 14. They checked his bone density and said that his bones are not absorbing any vitamin d or e or calcium. They said that they will not do any more test to find out why because they probably will never find out why. He eats and drinks alot of things that are high in vitamin d and e and in calcium. He also takes vitamin pills everyday.

Why would a child his age develop this disease? What kind of test can find the reason why?

He has already crushed his number 1 verbrae and split his number 5. Broke his wrist twice and his foot once.

I'm lost on what do to. Please help.

Thank You and GOD Bless
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 am

User avatar Hello,
Thank you for writing in. Osteoporosis is rare in teenagers. I would recommend an evaluation by a pediatric endocrinologist as I suspect this is related to a metabolic bone disorder and should be further evaluated.

My differetial diagnosis would include:

Rare form of rickets
Diabetes
Metabolic bone disorder
Growth hormone / short stature problem
Malabsorbtion problem in the gut
Kidney disease (not able to metabolize the Vitamin D)
Parathyroid disease

As you can see from some possible diagnosis that the cause can be complex and he should benefit from seeing an endocrinologist.

Take care.
 lisashere42 - Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Thank you for your reply. He was seeing a genetics doctor, but he didn't seem to interested in doing any further test. I will try what you said.

Again, Thanks.

GOD BLESS

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here