Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Corrections medically and non-medically for Cervical spine

paladinefizban - Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Impression from an MRI on My Cervical Spine (With contrast)
1. Right Foraminal disk protrusions at c3/c4through c6/c7, inclusive, causing right foraminal narrowing at each of these levels
2. Central disk osteophyte complex at c5 / c6 causing mild flattening of the ventral spinal cord.
3. No abnormal spinal cord signal intensity nor enhancement.
Impression from an MRI on My Thoracic Spine WWO contrast
1. No abnormal spinal cord signal intensity nor enchancement
2. Disk protrusions at t2/t3 and t3/t4 without cord compression.
(Complete results are at the bottom)
Essentially my question is what can and or should I do with this information? I am 24 - and I feel - not pain, but general discomfort pretty much throughout the day on a constant basis and I want to know what type of steps I would need to do either strength my bones- perhaps repair the damages already done or something of the sort. Is there surgical methods which I should look into to alleviate these problems or am I stuck with this discomfort for the rest of my life? Furthermore, what are the worst and best case scenarios for these problems? What is the best possible course of action for me?
Thank you in advance for your help and consideration.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:47 pm

You have some positive findings on cervical MRI.
These structural changes will not change but you may help progression with excellent health including good posture.
Since the spinal cord signal is normal and you have reported no neurological symptoms (arm numbness or tingling, arm or neck pain and poor upper extremity strenght) then there is less concern for fixing the structural changes and you can resume activity as tolerated.

Best cases scenario is that you attain and maintain excellent overall health and the neck discomfort decreases and no further problems. No surgery. No rehab. No medicine.

Worse case scenario is that the central spur worsens or the disc protrusions worsen , deform and compress the nerves so that neurological symptoms develop...and require surgery.

Good bone health requires well balanced meals, regular exercise and fair amount of sunshine.

|