News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: I have 5 fractured vertebrae. How long will the pain last?

sheremy - Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

I fractured 5 vertebrae on March 20, 2010. L1,L2 and L3 were transverse process fractures. L4 and L5 were burst fractures. There was damage to a nerve in L5 tht the doctor says was bruised causing pain in my right leg and numbness and weakness in my leg and foot. I am currently prescribed 100mg Lyrica every 12 hours, 20mg OxycodoneCR every 12 hours and 5mg baclofen every 8 hours. I only take the oxycodoneCR (20mg) and the lyrica (100mg) in the morning and usually take the baclofen in the morning and maybe one more time during the day. I know how addicting Oxycodone can be and I am worried that this will happen to me. I have tried many times to go a full day without taking it but the pain is too intense. Should I be worried about becoming addicted? Could the pain I am experiencing be from not taking the oxycodone? I do not feel like I am addicted to the meds. I just don't know how to tell if I am. Please help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:17 am

User avatar Hi,
You have failed to mention some very important information- What was the nature of the trauma? What sort of treatment was given?.

Because you have not mentioned about any surgical management, i lake it that you probably had a 'stable' burst fractures (with an intact posterior column) of the L4 & L5 vertebrae.A corset might have been prescribed.

Generally, in most spinal fractures,fracture stabilization occurs in about 6-12 weeks.Fracture stabilization refers to mainly healing of the ligaments and other soft tissues around the site of the fracture so that abnormal mobility becomes restricted.Full radiological bony union (as per plain X-Rays) may take an indefinite amount of time.

I can not possibly answer you precisely how long your fractures may take to heal(as it is highly variable).Regarding the medications, you must consult your orthopedic surgeon and he/she will be able to assist you regarding this.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here