News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: is inversion therapy safe for back pain treatment?

junta78 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:30 pm

I have been suffering from low back pain for the last 8 years. i have bulging discs between L4- L5 and between L5 -s1.. I would like to know if inversion table can be helpful in relieving back pain..

don't have BP or heart problems or glucoma..

I don't want to hang completely upside down.. but just want to invert at 30 degree or 45 degreee angle ..
would like to know if inversion therapy is safe and doesn't worsen the condition of my back..
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
Inversion tables are generally safe for low back conditions including bulging discs. The principle is that the weight of the body provides traction and relieves pressure on nerves and discs.

After one time trial, you will be able to make sure the positioning doesn't worsen your back symptoms - I would expect some relief rather than exacerbation.

Take care.
 junta78 - Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Dr for your reply. I heard inversion increases BP is it true?
are there any chances of developing BP if I do it regularly?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here