Question: Arm pain after anterior shoulder reduction normal?

smcfarland - Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 pm

On June 7, 2010 I was in a car accident and the airbag dislocated my shoulder(anterior). After a few hours it was reduced and I was sent home in a sling. I stayed in the sling except for when changing clothes until exactly one week later when I saw my primary doctor. One week after having the sling off and I am still have a lot of pain in my elbow and upper arm, usually when raising my arm. Is that normal or should I see my doctor again? Also, my shoulder pops sometimes and it hurts pretty bad and lasts or a couple hours. Is that normal?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

Two weeks post injury, you are still having significant problems with the shoulder, I would consider doing an MRI.
The concern is torn labrum (fibrous piece of material in the shoulder which helps keep the joint stable) and small fracture of the proximal humerus (the end of the upper arm bone).
Your family practice doctor can order the MRI.
The treatment plan will be based on the results.
For the time being stay in the immobilizer, use analgesics recommended by your physician and ask about MRI.

|