News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Possible Quad Tear

burntrider - Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:38 pm

In a soccer game yesterday, I felt a slight pain in my right thigh after striking the ball for the second time early on in the game. I'm 26 and it was summer league and haven't played in a few years. I was still a bit tight before the game and did my best to stretch before the game, but it wasn't enough. While resting on the couch in between icings, I observed a slight bulge about 4 - 5 inches above the knee. The bulge is about 2 inches wide and 5 - 6 inches long. Above this bulge is a slight depression in the the thigh about 3 - 4 inches in length and can feel other muscle fibers on each side of the depression.

Have I torn the muscle or ruptured the fibers to where I may need surgery? I will gladly disclose any other information needed for further assessments.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 am

User avatar Hello,
It is quite possible you have torn the quadricep muscle but probably only partially and likely not requiring surgery.
Conservative treatment will include maintaining range of motion, controlling pain with NSAIDs, and progressing strength as tolerated.
It will take about 6 weeks or more for a partially torn quadricep to heal so easy does it.
Of course, you ought to have a physician or even a athletic training assess this in person for a closer look...but it doesn't sound like a complete tear.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here