Question: Heterotrophic Ossification

LEO514 - Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:47 pm

10 months ago I fractured both femurs (right femur was broken at 15, 1st rod was broken also) The orthopedic doctor said that when I came into the hospital on the 3rd both legs were fractured badly, but 20 days later, my femurs had healed. Today the orthopedic doctor says that Im producing too much bone.

I have problems with the range of motion in my hips and knees, and also muscle weakness in both quad muscles. Is there anything that can possibly stop or slow down the bone growth. If not is there something I will have to just deal with as I get older (25 now).
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm

The title of this post is heterotrophic ossification which is bone growth outside the skeleton.
So I am not sure if the soft tissue structures around the fracture sites are ossifying or if the cancellous portions of the fracture sites are too large and overgrown.

For heterotrophic ossification, NSAIDS and/or local radiation have been used for prevention.

For full evaluation and recommendations, consult physiatrist especially regarding loss of muscle strength and range of motion or a orthopedist regarding the extra bone growth.

|