Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Treatment for spondylolisthesis? Seriousness?

kaylasmom - Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:01 pm

I have been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis (L4, L5) and would like to know what treatment is best. I have been a competitive runner for years and am wondering if this means I will no longer be able to run. My pain is minimal, but I do have some tingling sensations in my feet. If I continue to run will I do further damage. Can this be fixed so that I can again be a competitive runner or is that out of the question???
Tracy
 Summit - Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:49 am

I have a spondi same spot and it was almost grade 3. I did physical therapy for a couple of months. Strengthen the abdominals, this is very very important. Watch your posture also very important. I was also advised by my surgeon to not sleep or lay on my stomach, other than sex, and that was somewhat discouraged too.

Some may not like the next bit of advice I give, but it worked the best for me. I got the best results from a chiropractor, he uses a technique called a spondilo drop. I went to see him for a few months and my pain is pretty much gone except in the mornings, and I no longer have constant pins and needles in my legs, feet, and toes. My grade was also reduced to 25 percent compare to over 50 percent a little more than a grade 2. You should know that my chiropractor is also a M.D. in orthopedics and was a M.D. for a NFL football team. I feel you should extensively research your chiropractor, because I know many of them out there would only make your matter worse. However, the right one with a great reputation could help if you don't want surgery.

|