Question: Extreme Pain after Tibia and Fibula Surgery

DancingStar - Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I broke my tibia and fibula at the end of April and had surgery two times during the 1st and 2nd week in May as the 1st surgery wasnt correctly done.

I had a soft Pot on for approx 5 weeks, during which i had alot of sharp shooting pain towards the end of my pot coming off.

I was then told to start on full weight bearing on my ankle and come off the crutches and given a flex and stretch exercise to get the movement back.

Should it have been so soon to be full weight bearing?

I have been off the crutches for about 2 months now and have had a couple of physio appointments and given exercises. My ankle is still swollen and gets worse when i have been walking but the pain is constant wether i am sitting down with my ankle up or if im moving around. I am also still getting the sharp pains in my ankle and for the past month has been starting to ride up my shin. I recently went to the doctors and they found an infection on the inside and was prescribed Flucloxocillin.

Should i still be receving pain like this?

I have been told to keep taking paracetamol and diclofenac that i have been prescribed but neither of these are working.

Is there anything that i can do to stop it hurting so much. It wasnt this painful when i broke my foot but on a scale of 1 being the least pain and 10 being the worst pain ever, its a 10.

Any Help at all would be great

P.S I am a diabetic and know that healing could take longer time than a normal person
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 am

From the information given, the most concerning is the "infection on the inside" and the history of diabetes.

There is a need to rule out osteomyelitis (bone infection). Imagining studies (the best study is MRI), complete blood count (inc white blood cell count), sed rate, CRP, and blood cultures are indicated in the assessment for suspected osteomyelitis.

Therefore, in essence consult with your physician to rule out this potentially serious complication.

If no infection exists, then addressing the orthopedic status of the fracture fixation, joint integrity/function and soft tissue (ligaments, tendons, fascia, muscle) is the next step.

But first things first, rule out osteomyelitis.

DancingStar - Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:36 am

Ok Thankyou.

If i got a blood test done, would that show osteomyelitis? i got a blood test done a couple of days ago because im away at my sisters, so had more extreme pain and went to her doctors and they said that there could be an infection on the metal work in my ankle, so was referred to A&E to see a orthopaedic doctor and was given x-rays and blood tests and all these came clear, no infection, no displacement. I got told that im just going through a rough patch,and my fracture clinic consultant has said more or less the same as this other orthopaedic doctor, but said that the pain is normal.

I know this is going to sound silly but it doesnt feel like my ankle anymore.

im also getting like bubble popping pains going from my heel towards my toes on the side of my ankle, and you can see something popping up and down next to my screw wound.is this normal?

my pain is only on the left hand side of my right ankle where the screw was put in. and the ankle swells up to my knee size if i walk for about 20-30mins, do you think that i am over doing it?
 DancingStar - Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm

I have had another visit to my orthopaedic consultant and he has said that the Tibia bone hasnt got the white lining around it and is very close to another bone. He has also said it looks like i have two nerves that are trapped, he also says that im never going to be a professional dancer.

Does that mean im not going to be able to do dance at university?

Also been told that there isnt any tablets that i can take than what im already taking to get rid of this nerve pain, is this true?

Please Help

|