News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper Middle Backpain with Pins and Needles

nursingassistantuk - Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi there, i work as a Nursing Assistant and have recently hurt my back which i suspect is through lifting. The pain begins as a dull, lasting sensation throughout the upper middle of my back but is not limited to this area. The pain is causing me to remain uncomfortable in a variety of positions but is most prevelent when lying down and sitting in an upright position. Along with this pain and the lack of ability to remain in a comfortable position, i have also been experiencing a 'pins and needles' sensation throught my legs and my right hand which almost immediatley becomes cramped and with this i have been frequently losing grip of objects whilst holding them.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like two separate issues - one involving the lumbar spine or sciatic nerve and the other involving the wrist or carpal tunnel.
It would be good to check with a physiatrist (one who specializes in physical medicine), he would be able to determine the specific cause of the leg and hand symptoms.
Dropping objects with the hand lends itself to consider carpal tunnel syndrome - a common inflammatory and neurological problem of the median nerve in the wrist often the result of repetitive motion e.g. typing, line work in the factory.
But cervical vertebrae problems can also cause the hand symptoms.
There is no direct connection between the lumbar spine and the hand so probably is two separate issues. (Diabetes or thyroid issues can cause some numbness or tingling sensations in the limbs so this should be screened).

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here