Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper Middle Backpain with Pins and Needles

nursingassistantuk - Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi there, i work as a Nursing Assistant and have recently hurt my back which i suspect is through lifting. The pain begins as a dull, lasting sensation throughout the upper middle of my back but is not limited to this area. The pain is causing me to remain uncomfortable in a variety of positions but is most prevelent when lying down and sitting in an upright position. Along with this pain and the lack of ability to remain in a comfortable position, i have also been experiencing a 'pins and needles' sensation throught my legs and my right hand which almost immediatley becomes cramped and with this i have been frequently losing grip of objects whilst holding them.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 pm

It sounds like two separate issues - one involving the lumbar spine or sciatic nerve and the other involving the wrist or carpal tunnel.
It would be good to check with a physiatrist (one who specializes in physical medicine), he would be able to determine the specific cause of the leg and hand symptoms.
Dropping objects with the hand lends itself to consider carpal tunnel syndrome - a common inflammatory and neurological problem of the median nerve in the wrist often the result of repetitive motion e.g. typing, line work in the factory.
But cervical vertebrae problems can also cause the hand symptoms.
There is no direct connection between the lumbar spine and the hand so probably is two separate issues. (Diabetes or thyroid issues can cause some numbness or tingling sensations in the limbs so this should be screened).

|