Question: MCL Contusion - Now swollen ankle and numbness

ged - Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 am

10 days ago I suffered an MCL (?) contusion playing basketball - another player 'kneed' me on the inside part of my knee just below the kneecap. Not sure if exactly the MCL - in the area on the inside of my knee between the kneecap and where the top of the calf muscle sort of ends. The area swelled up immediately, but there was no pain and no pain to the touch at all, and I continued to play. It was if it was 'fluid'. The following day it was fine, a little swollen, but no real pain at all. After a couple days, I noticed a 'black and blue' line along the inside of my foot from just inside the heel to the middle of my arch, and all along my lower leg started to feel a little numb at times. My ankle became slightly swollen. When I apply light touching pressure on my lower leg (by the MCL, shin, and ankle), it is a little painful. I don't feel any real pain walking, except some tightness around the ankle. When I stretch my foot (extend, retract, side-to-side), it feels 'tight' and is painful. Almost like a combo of tight/numb/painful - mostly in the high ankle area. Ice helped with the swelling but not the numbness. Heat seemed to make it a little worse. Elevation seems to help a little, but not that much. Doing circles with my foot seems to loosen up the stiffness a little bit. Not sure if this will heal itself or I should see a doc.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks for writing in.
With trauma to the medial knee, certainly the MCL could have become damaged. And with knee trauma in general, you can see distal (e.g. ankle) swelling and bruising (collections of fluids) which have resulting from the knee trauma and gravity pulling the fluid down.

Also, anytime a joint is injured, it is important to assess both the joint above and below the injury site (since "the hip bone is connected to the knee bone is connect to and ankle bone" etc).

So during the incident the ankle could have twisted - sprain.

But most likely, the injury was local to the knee and the effects at the ankle are resultant from the knee trauma, swelling and bruising.

If the knee and ankle are either unstable or not recovering, then see a physician.

|