Question: Broken rib caused pulled ab muscle?

Braap105 - Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:06 pm

So i was riding motocross the other day and took a spill and slammed my left middle side of my ribs. this hurt pretty bad but wasnt to terrible, i got up and rode a bit more but it was definatly hurting and affecting my riding. so i took it easy for a week, then i rode a pedal bike 24 miles 6 days later, that was all good and felt like i was healing and what not, so i rode my dirt bike the next day. was a little sore but nothing to bad/unexpected. then the next day after do relativly nothing, i started get a sharp pain on the underside of my left side middle 6 pack muscle. i have no idea why or whats causeing this. and it really hurts when i stretch out a bit, and or twist my torso. its been like this for the past few days and im not sure what going on. any help would be great. no i am in really good shape, and im only 18 years old. just wondering if i should actually go to the doctor or just take it easy for some time till it feels better?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Although the fall about 2 weeks earlier could have potentially caused rib fractures, your history does not suggest it very much.The pain due to fracture of a rib will usually aggravate on breathing in, or while coughing or sneezing.

You seem to be experiencing pain in the vicinity of the left rectus abdominis muscle(the "six-pack" muscle). One possible explanation for your symptoms is a partial tear of the rectus muscle. This could have been aggravated by by the dirt bike riding or some other activity/posture.

These tears usually are managed non-operatively(rest, analgesics and cold compresses in the acute phase). In some cases, if accompanied by a large hematoma, then they may need an aspiration or open drainage.

It will be safer for you to show it to your family doctor and get treated.

|