News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Forehead still has pains after fall (6weeks approx)

Dipps - Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 am

I fell down some concrete steps and then onto the rock beach hitting my head very hard. after a few days i went to the hospital (my eye had gone black and swollen and a large lump appeared on my head) and had my skull x rayed amongst other tests. i was advised to go back if the pain moved from the lump i had on my head, but, it always stayed in this location.
now, approx 6 weeks later, i still have a slight lump and the bone in my forehead feels a bit dented, but the thing that concerns me is that every now and then i get a sharp pain where i hit my head, the pain doesn't normally last that long but it can be very painful for a few minutes.
Do you think it is worth me going back to the hospital, after all this time, or could i just be worrying about nothing.

Many thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 pm

User avatar Hi,
From your history, it appears that you had developed a scalp hematoma following the fall. Relatively fresh scalp hematomas, on palpation, often feel as though the skull bone itself is depressed. Such "true" depressions of the cranial vault do occur in newborns and infants("pond fractures") as their bones are very thin.

Scalp hematomas (like hematomas elsewhere in the body), organize and then gradually disappear. Small hematomas would generally be expected to have resolved by 6 weeks.Perhaps it was somewhat larger in your case. If there is any associated headache or vomiting, one must report to the doctor urgently. In any case, it may not be a bad idea to visit your family doctor for an assessment.
Best wishes!
 Dipps - Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:29 am

many thanks for the advise
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:18 pm

User avatar Hi Dipps,
Thank you for your reply. I hope all is well by now. Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here