Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: fracture of patella

rheannonerinn - Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:57 am

In 1988 I came off a motorcycle and sustained multiple fractures of the patellas. In 2007 I sustained a communted fracture of the right patella. With the injury in 2007 I could still walk, although painful. After 3 days I decided to have an x-ray and I was then sent for an MRI, which found the commuted fracture. My GP sent me to a specialist, who decided as I was walking, nil treatment was required.

Since the first accident in 1988, I have experienced pain over the years, however I have learnt to manage/block out the pain. I think this is why I was able to walk etc with the second injury.

Currently I am experiencing hip pain and right knee pain. I had an x-ray of the hip which showed calcification of the top of the hip bone. The GP decided I have a bursa (don't think this is correct).

In the last week I have done alot of walking and my knee pain is the same as the pain I experienced when I fractured the patella the 2nd time. Is it possible to get a stress fracture from walking?

Could my hip pain be related to my patella?

Thanks,
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Yes the hip pain can occur secondary to the knee. It's very common to experience pain in the joints above or below the injured area.

Regarding stress fracture from too much walking, under normal circumstances the bones should tolerated normal walking - even prolonged walking. But in case of a fractured patella and prolonged walking the fracture site if not healed fully may cause great pain or poor healing.

It would worthwhile to re x-ray the knee and patella.

|