Question: Pain caused by bad sprain in the past

Sami839 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm 20 years old and about a year ago I fell down some stairs and injured my ankle badly. The doctor said I had a grade 3 high ankle sprain. I was on crutches and in a boot for quite a while, but since then have been able to walk on my foot and haven't noticed a lot of instability or problems. However, recently I've been noticing bad pain in my previously injured ankle. I'm a server at a restaurant and am on my feet for 3-4 hours at a time, constantly walking. I noticed the pain, and after a while it got so intense I was limping around the rest of the day. Sometimes it even hurts now when resting as well. My ankle doesn't appear to be swollen as far as I can tell. Should I make an appointment with my doctor and is this common? What could be wrong with my ankle and can it be fixed?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm

First, to answer the question of seeing your physician...yes that ought to shed some light on what you will need to decrease the pain and improve your ability to work.

It ought to be determined if the pain is the result of the previous injury being aggravated or re-injured or if a new problem has developed. Often new problems eg. tendonitis or acute arthritis start some time after a majorly injured joint.

So besides using the same modalities (ice, heat, NSAIDS, decreased weight bearing) to treat the initial injury, see your physician to check the painful limb.

|