Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: X-ray found a lump on my spine..

Toots - Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:57 am

Not really sure where to start! I'm a 23 year old female and I've just recently had an x-ray which found a lump on the right side of my neck.. on my spine. I had the x-ray (and some blood tests which were fine) because I was experiencing pain in my wrists.. sadly, I checked the blood tests but didn't get to check the x-rays because they weren't ready.. then my husband's grandmother passed away, so it was all forgotten for about a month. Then about three weeks ago I started feeling horrible pain in my whole arm.. I assumed it was because of the way I'd slept on it but it continued and kept getting worse. The whole arm ached and there was sharp pain in my palm, fingers and elbow. So, I returned to the doctors and was then told there was actually something wrong with my x-ray and I'd have known had I checked it. I was told they don't call you even if something's wrong.. great. (My fault, anyway..) The doctor pretty much told me there was a lump on my spine and that they were sending me to see a specialist right away and that I would get a letter with the date.. then ended the appointment. Just as I was leaving she suggested painkillers as I can't even sleep at night, anymore.. so, I'm now on co codamol but sadly it only helps part of the time (I take two at a time three times a day). I also take ibuprofen in between. Yet I'm still experiencing pain and find it hard to get comfortable.. and work has just become a complete nightmare!

So, I have no idea what's going on.. and the pain is getting worse. My back now gets shooting pain as does my neck and I've started getting really bad headaches. It's only been 4 days (I went on Wednesday) but it feels like forever..

Really all I'm curious about is what it could be? I hate not knowing. I'm not sure if anyone can help or not but figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Since you have a x-ray confirmed "lump" on the spine causing radiating pain into the arm the following course of action (assuming this indeed is a spinal tumor) is indicated immediately:
1. Neurosurgery consultation
2. MRI
3. Corticosteroids

Again, confirm the x-ray results with the radiologist and your family physician and seek further care.

|