News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Avulsion Fracture of Ischial Tuberosity

beachside299 - Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 pm

So last fall ( beginning of October) I was unfortunate enough to have gotten an avulsion fracture of my left ischial tuberosity. The doctors opted not to do surgery becuase the bone was not displaced far enough where it would have been necessary. Another driving factor is because i am a year round. highly engaged soccer player and it would have severely effected my time table to come back. Well months went by and i had only gotten a little better. The bone was healed according to x rays, but any awkward movement, sitting down, jogging, swinging my leg, and alot of other things still hurt extremely bad. So eventually we found a doctor that said that the reason for not getting better was because I had functional leg length discrepancy that was received when the hamstring pulled the bone off of my pelvis. I have been receiving physical therapy for this for about 2 -3 months and I have seen major improvement. But for some reason when I feel the back of my leg ( on my hamstring) I feel like a part of the outside of my hamstring is missing or something. There is a divet there when I retract my leg and I am wondering if you think that could also contribute to why I still have not been able to run or kick a ball without a lot of pain. Also, I am writing all this to just ask for any other opinions as to what could of happened to me that could result in, after 9-10 months, I am still not healed.
Thanks a lot in advance
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for writing in.

Sounds like you have made considerable progress yet unable to kick the soccer ball due to pain.

With the divot in the posterior thigh upon contracting the hamstring...along with avulsion fracture of the ischial tuberosity, a portion of the hamstring may have been ruptured.
I would opt for an MRI to determine the integrity of the hamstring muscles and tendons (semi membranosus, semi tendonosis, and biceps femoris). One of the three may have ruptured and still not healed.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here