Question: Avulsion Fracture of Ischial Tuberosity

beachside299 - Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 pm

So last fall ( beginning of October) I was unfortunate enough to have gotten an avulsion fracture of my left ischial tuberosity. The doctors opted not to do surgery becuase the bone was not displaced far enough where it would have been necessary. Another driving factor is because i am a year round. highly engaged soccer player and it would have severely effected my time table to come back. Well months went by and i had only gotten a little better. The bone was healed according to x rays, but any awkward movement, sitting down, jogging, swinging my leg, and alot of other things still hurt extremely bad. So eventually we found a doctor that said that the reason for not getting better was because I had functional leg length discrepancy that was received when the hamstring pulled the bone off of my pelvis. I have been receiving physical therapy for this for about 2 -3 months and I have seen major improvement. But for some reason when I feel the back of my leg ( on my hamstring) I feel like a part of the outside of my hamstring is missing or something. There is a divet there when I retract my leg and I am wondering if you think that could also contribute to why I still have not been able to run or kick a ball without a lot of pain. Also, I am writing all this to just ask for any other opinions as to what could of happened to me that could result in, after 9-10 months, I am still not healed.
Thanks a lot in advance
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for writing in.

Sounds like you have made considerable progress yet unable to kick the soccer ball due to pain.

With the divot in the posterior thigh upon contracting the hamstring...along with avulsion fracture of the ischial tuberosity, a portion of the hamstring may have been ruptured.
I would opt for an MRI to determine the integrity of the hamstring muscles and tendons (semi membranosus, semi tendonosis, and biceps femoris). One of the three may have ruptured and still not healed.

|