Question: Top of Foot pain

alixallen - Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 pm

For about a month now, I have had pain in the top of my foot. Not close to my toes, but closer to my ankle. When I'm at work and I have tennis shoes on, everything is fine. But when I am not at work and wear other shoes, such as flip flops it swells if I stand or walk for a short amount of time. It hurts very bad when this happens and the pain in very localized. I got a pedicure yesterday and I had to ask the guy to stop because the rubbing on it was bringing tears to my eyes. I don't recall of any trauma to it but I'm wondering if there could be a small fracture in one of those small bones. And if there is anything an orthopedic doctor could do.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

Without a history of trauma or repetitive use such as running, a fracture is unlikely.
Tendons are abundant on top of the foot and may be dealing with tendonitis.
Other potential cause is specific small foot joint arthritis or a dysfunction with the biomechanics of the midfoot. This could cause pain especially when changing footwear.

You may benefit from seeing a podiatrist who should accurately assess the cause and thus recommend the apporpriate treatment. For now, use ice and/or heat packs, anti-inflammatory medicine (if not contraindicated medically) and gentle painfree range of motion exercises...do these without weight on the foot i.e. with the ankle elevated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iueNeAkAFo&feature=fvw

|