News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Top of Foot pain

alixallen - Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 pm

For about a month now, I have had pain in the top of my foot. Not close to my toes, but closer to my ankle. When I'm at work and I have tennis shoes on, everything is fine. But when I am not at work and wear other shoes, such as flip flops it swells if I stand or walk for a short amount of time. It hurts very bad when this happens and the pain in very localized. I got a pedicure yesterday and I had to ask the guy to stop because the rubbing on it was bringing tears to my eyes. I don't recall of any trauma to it but I'm wondering if there could be a small fracture in one of those small bones. And if there is anything an orthopedic doctor could do.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

User avatar Hello,
Without a history of trauma or repetitive use such as running, a fracture is unlikely.
Tendons are abundant on top of the foot and may be dealing with tendonitis.
Other potential cause is specific small foot joint arthritis or a dysfunction with the biomechanics of the midfoot. This could cause pain especially when changing footwear.

You may benefit from seeing a podiatrist who should accurately assess the cause and thus recommend the apporpriate treatment. For now, use ice and/or heat packs, anti-inflammatory medicine (if not contraindicated medically) and gentle painfree range of motion exercises...do these without weight on the foot i.e. with the ankle elevated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iueNeAkAFo&feature=fvw

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here