Question: Car crash, damaged knee

beachbumm - Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 pm

I am a 20 year old female. 6 years ago I was in a car crash, my side of the car smashed into a concrete gard rail and I injured my knee. I didn't have insurance so I never had it checked out. Now years later, even walking the mall makes my knee throb and some days after work it hurts very bad and it swells up, I get a golf ball sized swollen spot right under my knee. A year ago I had XRays done and my family DR said there's nothing wrong with it, I just need to exercise?
My concern is, the pain seems to be more frequent and now, I've developed white marks on my knee, looks almost like scars, and the skin and muscle is very very sensitive. It burns to even rest my arm on it. What's going on here? Do I need to go in and have more XRays done??
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am

X-rays show bony abnormalities but not the best to visualize soft tissue (muscles, ligaments, cartilage). So MRI instead may be indicated.
Also, with all the symptoms, you may benefit from specific exercises, hot and cold packs...in essence - some physical therapy.
The swelling and tenderness may be the result of an inflamed bursa (slippery fluid filled sac) of the knee - there are several bursa at the knee.
Also, the patellafemoral joint may have been damaged...the under-surface of the knee cap. This is a common site of motor vehicle injury as the knee hits the dashboard.

All in all, ask your physician about the need for anti inflammatory medicine, MRI and Physical Therapy.

|