News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: shattered toe not healing

CharlieCabo - Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 pm

I recently (4 weeks ago) broke my toe on my right foot (right next to my big toe). Actually my horse stepped on my barefoot. Doctor took xrays (same day) said broken right below nail bed. buddy taped, and said no big deal. Came back to Dr. he said, toe was shattered and body is not absorbing bone fragments, don't know why, no medical reasons in my history. will check back in 4 more weeks and talked about "removing the bone"? Does that mean removing bone fragments or amputating toe?

I walk on my heal and side of my foot all day long, (with buddy tape system). I have children, horses, and 5 acres, can't sit still even if I wanted to.

What is to be expected/process/outcome???
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 am

User avatar Hello,
Four weeks is a decent time frame to judge for healing of the fragmented bone.
Since this is a distal toe fracture and does not involve the proximal toe joint, it should not in the long run affect your gait and function.
Removing bone if needed likely involves the fragments...although I expect this will not be necessary.

Total healing time is 6-8 weeks.

Take care.
 CharlieCabo - Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am

THANK YOU for the information! It makes a huge difference to understand the details!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here