Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Interconnected neck, back, leg, and foot pain.

maggie2006stl - Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:24 pm

I’m in horrible pain. It started months ago in the middle of my shoulder blades, with the sensation that I can’t crack my back. And then cramping of my muscles in my neck, shoulders, and back became constant and painful. Then I somehow damaged my neck, not sure how. The feeling was like sleeping on my neck incorrectly and the resulting pain in the morning. However it was way more intense than that feeling has ever been for me before and it happened suddenly, while I was reading in bed, not from a position kept all night. I’d practiced yoga that day but felt fine afterwards and can think of no explanation for this. While the intensity of that neck pain as faded it has never completely left, I’m growing used to the mild discomfort. But now I’m experiencing pain in my left foot. It’s in the heel somewhere and seems to differ from side to side on my foot. I can’t quite pinpoint what hurts. And I’m having sever muscle cramps in the back of my left thigh that are increasingly painful. I’m also cramping in both calves and right foot arch. I’m not sure what’s going on but I suspect that it is all interrelated. Right now I need to get my foot to stop hurting so I can walk properly.

Probably unrelated but I also have issues with my arm, it is the soft area directly above my elbow. Frequently just placing my elbow on a table will cause this "shocking" sensation that is very uncomfortable. I also have found that while preforming certain activities, most notably chopping food for meals, I will have the oddest sensation of-- it is hard to describe. It is the same feeling but is running up and down my forearm, like the nerves or tendons maybe. I don't know what it could be. I liken it to an electric shock but that doesn't perfectly describe it. This is most likely a problem for a different forum but if I'm wrong and it is related, I share it here now.

I'd also like to mention that I am 5'1" tall and weigh 170 lbs.
I’m a 27 year old woman, and over weight.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:06 pm

You have described quite a few areas of discomfort, pain, cramping and tingling sensations at various locations.

First, cramping in the neck, shoulders and back and...cramping in the calves and right foot... these symptoms in a 27 y.o. may simply be relieved with increased hydration and some physical exercise. However, if it has been some time since your last doctor's visit, you ought to see him. With a history of heavy drinking and on going multi body part symptoms, some blood work (comprehensive metabolic panel, thyroid hormones, and complete blood count...perhaps iron studies) would be indicated.

The elbow and forearm symptoms may be due to ulnar nerve irritation, lateral or medial epicondylitis or local inflammation of tendons or ligaments. Treatment with ice, NSAIDS and gentle exercise would be indicated. Occasionally, a corticosteroid injection into inflamed tendon insertion site relieves symptoms.

In any case, see a physician for accurate diagnosis and management.

|