Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Lateral collateral and cruciate ligaments reattachment

Eriana - Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:51 am

How long will my leg need to be immobilized after lateral collateral and cruciate ligament surgery?
I had an accident that resulted in a bad knee sprain with lateral collateral and both cruciate ligaments being torn, torn knee capsule, torn biceps femoris tendon and partial temporary leg paralysis because the nerves were crushed. I had surgery to reattach the tendon, the lateral ligament and the capsule. However, following imperfect cast, the lateral ligament is now too long and will not hold the knee in place properly.
Now I need to have surgery to get the lateral and one or both cruciate ligaments re-attached.Right now I have 2 different medical opinions, one saying it will take 6 weeks in full leg cast while another says a maximum of 5 days in a knee brace set at 15dg.
Normally, how long does the leg need to be immobilized after this type of surgery? Is it full leg cast (from the toes to the upper thigh) or just partial (just around the knee)?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:49 pm

The general rule for post ACL/PCL tear is early motion...but how early is early.
Many of us advocate passive motion within 48 hours post op.

So obviously with a cast, early motion is out of the question.

Unless there is a specific reason for total leg casting (based on the type of repair scheduled), the knee brace option is more typical / standard course and current post op recommendation.

|