Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: Bone Infection

j.hassall - Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:42 am

I have been suffering with neck problems since 2001, at the time I was diagnosed as having an irritated nerve although after various tests including MRI and Ct scan mainly looking at the brain and neck area, and also blood tests, no definite cause could be found. I was put on various painkillers and anti-depressants to cope with the continuing pain. Eventually I had a nerve block in the C2/C3 neck area which numbed the whole area. A week or so after this I was very ill with vomiting and my face became puffy and swollen and painful, my doctor thought it was some kind of allergic reaction and no treatment was offered. I continued with the pain but eventually the puffiness subsided but still I felt very weak and thougjh something wasnot quite right. Eventually I was treated with trimethprim antibiotics for a urinary tract infection and my neck pain improved. Also a while after I was given a course of erythromycin for a sinus infection and again my condition improved and I had loads of energy. It appeared to me that there could be some deep seated infection that temporarily improved with antibiotics and then reocurred, but after blood tests my doctor said that this wasnot so. Eventually I moved to a new doctor who tried to help by giving me erthromycin tablets, but because I have had so many of these in the past, they didnot appear to help. He said that they didnot know what was causing the problem and that I would have to continue on painkillers. But to me this was only masking the problem and not getting to the cause of it. Over the last few months I have felt feverish with swelling in my face and at the top of my spine. Some nights I cannot sleep because of the intense pain, which drenches me in sweat and sometimes makes me vomit. I am very weak and pain seems to be spreading to my chest and across my back. I had a urinary tract infection a few weeks ago and was treated with antibiotics. There is a lady doctor new to our surgery and I have been to see her, I asked whether I could have an abscess in my neck area because of the feeling of fluid I have around the back of the right ear and into my spine. She did blood tests and last week I had an X-ray of my chest and neck area for which I am awaiting the results. The blood test showed that my white cells were up slightly and she is repeating the blood test again this week and doing a CBC and ESR. I have also noticed that the pain is worse before my period and I have lots of catarrh which I cannot seem to shift. Today the pain feels like it is spreading through my bones, and my neck cannot move without intense pain and there is reduced motion with the feeling of fluid increasing. I am also very thirsty all the time, but I am not a diabetic, this has been checked previously. My question is if I have an infection somewhere in my neck and spine, will it show up in the blood tests that my doctor is doing or are more specific tests required? Because my symptons are getting worse I am concerned that eventually I willnot be able to move at all. I feel like I need to be in hospital so that they can find the cause but my doctor says she needs to complete her investigations so she knows what is causing the problem and which department to send me. Our hospital is always short of beds so you are not automatically admitted, and recently I went to the accident and emergency department and I was sent home with antibiotics. I live in the UK so we are subject to waiting times through the National Health Service. I would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions you may be able to give to me. Thanking you.
 reb - Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:38 am

I have been experiencing the same thing. I had my wisdom teeth removed 6 months ago, and since then I have had severe neck pain that gets better and worse dep. on antibiotics. I also have had a very strange sweet bitter taste in my mouth, been very thirsty, and tired. I have had nerve pain and tinglyness throughout my arms and legs since the surgury and 2 sinus infections. I feel good while i am on antibiotics, but then after that, the neck pain and everything else gets worse. It is some kind of infection and I have no idea what it is. Can you please let me know what your doctors find?

thanks
 Musicman - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:41 am

I have had similar problems following wisdom tooth removal (age 56) and you might want to do a websearch on jawbone cavitations/osteomyletis. There are thousands of people with this problem.

|