News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: High fracture / displaced / left fibula

COBiker - Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm

The above x-ray was taken 4 weeks ago after I was hit by a car. It was decided by the ER to not cast the leg (due to the high location of the fracture any cast or boot would end up right about where the fracture was and I also have knee trauma and severe hematomas to both thighs) or set the fracture and the ortho I saw 2 days later confirmed this diagnosis. I just had x-rays taken (they were not digital so the one above it the original) to take to my ortho next week and they still show after 28 days what appears to be little or no filling in of the gap seen in this picture. Is this normal or should I be seeing more light or white between the broken ends of the bone after 4 weeks. The x-ray tech said she didn't know what to expect other than bigger bones take longer to heal.

I am concerned because my PT's both are concerned that the bone was not set and they felt that due to the displacement the fib might not heal properly or at all. My ortho said that the bone should heal w/o setting or casting when I originally went in and after waiting four weeks but not seeing any bone between the two parts ends of the fracture has be concerned. What questions should I ask my ortho when I see him next week?

Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
The fractured bone (fibula) is not a weight bearing bone and has a displaced fracture diagnally. It is understandable that the fracture was not set as weight bearing should not worsen the alignment.
With a displaced fracture, non union is a concern and over the next few weeks, another radiograph will determine it's likelihood.

Discuss your treatment options with your surgeon including the treatment of non union displaced proximal fibular fracture.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here