News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: broken 5th metatarsal severe top of foot pain 9 weeks later

Scott1979 - Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm a 31 year old male I broke my 5th metatarsal on may 24th. I wore a hard cast for 5 weeks and a removable on for 2 weeks. I now have severe pain on the top of my foot starting at the botton of my toes and extending halfway down my foot. It is painfull to clench or spread my toes and extremely painfull to the touch. There is also swelling and slight bruising. I have an appointment with my podiatrist on the 9th of August. I think I should try to move the appointment closer if possible. Thank you for your help
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 am

User avatar Hello,
Some 5th metatarsal fractures are notorious for non-union of the bone. Also, regional pain syndromes (formally known as RSD) can develop post surgery signified by increased pain, hypersensitivity to light touch and swelling.
Some studies have shown Vitamin C 500-1500mg per day helps help regional pain syndrome post distal limb fracture.

Most likely, the pain is normal for post fracture healing or may signify you are putting too much weight too soon on the area.

More will be revealed after your assessment with the podiatrist * which if available - a sooner appointment is acceptable.

* Make sure the amount of analgesics is sufficient.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here